25.10.12

Twenty-Five: On Planning

(In which I try to be helpful.)

I was asked how I keep busy and keep working when I have multiple projects going on so I figured I'd try to answer here. (I'm not sure how helpful this will be, for the record. I'm just generally bad at this.)

For me, I think it's just that - having multiple projects. Well, multiple projects and good orgainisation.

Working on more than one thing 'at once' means that I can jump back and forth when I get stuck on one of them. By the time I've burned myself out on one idea and need a break from it, I've usually figured out what happened with the first idea that tripped me up.

That doesn't work for everyone but I've found it to be a very good way for me to work.

In addition, I keep a calendar (the one linked in the sidebar under 'Free Stuff') and try to slot things in where they belong. My calendar isn't a be-all, end-all but it gives me a pretty solid idea of what I should be working on, at least most days.

(You can click on the pictures to see them larger.)

Let's take a week as an example and say I have a fair bit I'd like to do. Like, say I have a crochet project that I want done, an outline that I want to get done, I want to finish a book, I have several fashion sketches I want to do (maybe character outfits?), and I need to study math.

Here's how I would plan the week.

Plan 'Immovable Objects' First

Work and school are generally a fixed schedule. Fill those in first so you can see where you have the most free time. If you don't have either of these things, use something that has to be done. For me, it's my math, but I need breaks in between, so the first week might look like this:


Pretty doable, right? There's a lot of free space in here.


Plan 'High Wants' Next

From there, plan out things you really want to do. My writing is always pretty high on the list for me so once that's added in, the week might look like this:


This is a little more intimidating just because every day has something in it. But that's just it. Everyday has something in it, but that's all it has in it. One thing a day. This way, I can get a fair bit done without overloading one or two days for the sake of freeing up others.

Staggering my schedule like this gives me time to stop and rest and work when I can on the 'task of the day'.

(Of course, I might also have 'Write Chapter 7' or 'Edit Chapter 4' in there too but for an example piece, this works just fine.)


Plan 'Middle-ground' Wants

In other words, things you want to do but that can be pushed around if they need to be. From the list I gave, finishing reading a book and doing my sketches are things I'd like to do but they aren't dire. With those added, the week would look pretty full:



A little fuller now, huh? Still, 50 pages is not an insane goal. It's something that can be done in the evening or over breaks during the day. And notice I only said 'Sketch'. I didn't give a number, or even a level of completion. Technically, one rough sketch would be enough.



Fill in the Extra Space

While I don't advocate running yourself into the ground, it's good to know how much you can take on without getting hurt. This is the time to add in anything else you have to do - mainly things that you aren't too crazy about doing. For me, I'm least looking forward to crocheting at the moment so that's my last entry.

Now my week looks like this:


And even though there is a fair bit on the calendar, I'm not overworked in the least and things are still getting done. The math work doesn't take me long and outlining a single section (or 'Chap.1 to Chap.6' maybe?) isn't too difficult. Reading is never a chore for me and I can do that at the end of the day to wind down a little. Even crochet work isn't too stressful - just a little time-consuming.

A schedule like this looks kind of intimidating, especially if you've planned an entire month, but by breaking things down into one and two-line goals, meeting a larger goal by the end of the month suddenly looks much more doable than if you'd simply typed the goal on the last day.

I find myself doing this with pages or chapters as well. Writing one chapter doesn't sound nearly as daunting as writing a whole book.

Jumping between projects also gives me a chance to back away for a couple of days and think about one set of characters while I'm working with another. It tends to give me a new perspective on them when I'm away from the project, even by a little.

This won't work for everyone, of course, but I've found it works very well for me and I thought I'd share just in case anyone else could use it or tailor it to fit them better. Sometimes even having a rough idea of what needs to be done by when can really help.

Also, on choosing an idea:

What's always worked best for me is just to go down the list. What story do you connect with right now? Which one do you know the most about? Which on has characters that you know like the back of your hand? (If it comes right down to it, flip a coin. Once that coin is in the air, you'll know what you're hoping for and you'll have your project.)

I'll probably really hit this hard after NaNoWriMo so maybe I'll let you guys see what a full month looks like for me.

Speaking of planning, I really do need to get back on that outline of mine. I think I have the two main characters names now and that means progress.

I want to get section one done today or tomorrow, at least the rough draft of the outline. You can't improve what's not there, right?

Also, if someone's only suspected of being an assassin, there's nothing the police can do to him, right? It's very important that I know this and all related information. Because of reasons.

*suspicious glance at the door*

I'm insane, aren't I?

I thought so.

Well, I will be getting back to writing/planning/whatever now and I hope you all have a wonderful day. (Be sure to schedule yourself some time off.)

I'm very tired so I'll probably go scrounge some food and then try to get something done before I fall asleep.

Bye for now, everyone. I'll see you all tomorrow when I will probably cringe at this entry.

*waves*