9.4.12

Let me tell you about my day.

**Warning: long post ahead.**


My day started at 9 this morning. Okay. I can deal with that.

We then got in the car and drove to a property management place to look at houses we could rent. Fine. So we piled in the car with the broker (who was actually funny and pretty normal so that was a relief). There was commentary like 'I went to get a tattoo once. The artist said I was too fat so he'd have to give me a tat-3'. I think he'll show up in a character or two.

Now.

House one was bigger (with a second floor and very steep stairs) and the foundation was solid. It was also the highest rent. I loved the neighbourhood though and we kept it on the list since it seemed like a strong option even with the extra cost.

House two was a single story with some minor cosmetic issues in the same neighbourhood (different street). Another strong option.

House three... House three I wouldn't have rented on a bet. It reeked of mold, there were water stains and I didn't honestly feel like I could safely touch things in there.

So... Even with the higher rent, we figured the first house was the better option. Fine. Awesome. I love that place, steep stairs and my upstairs bedroom (with the only bathroom downstairs) and all.

So we get that figured out, there's no problem with getting the lease, the landlord seems nice. It's all good. So, while we waited on the lease to be typed up, we got to run to the power company and to get the cable appointment (TV and internet). Water, sewer and garbage are paid which is a fairly big deal up here. We also bought an older washer and dryer.

So we go out to Dairy Queen to eat because I'm getting a headache from lack of food (I think I might have to be one of those girls who has to eat every few hours or she starts feeling sick). Great. We get all that done and sign the lease, the place is ours (though they did tell me not to chew on the windowsills. Killjoys.) But then we start to wonder: Did that place have cable outlets?

So we go back. And no, no it didn't. There was not a single outlet in the entire house. The place had never even had cable hooked up. And we just signed a six-month lease.

So we go back to the property management place to have them call the landlord and see if we can't fix this. Thankfully, we can. The landlord was fine with them running cable to the place as long as we paid for it.

All right. But wait. We have no furniture. Now we have to go into town, to every place we can find that might work, and look around for a couch, loveseat, TVs and something to put said TVs on. The first place had a set we liked but the price was painful. We then looked around at several others, both local and chain, for something better and cheaper. Failing that, we returned to find the set sold to the couple who originally asked about it before we got there.

Annoying but understandable. So then it was off to yet another store. We finally managed to find a couch we liked along with a set of tables (coffee and end). The saleswoman was really sweet too. She gave me a pillow to hug carry over to their larger store (up the street) so we could find something that went with it. Problem was, the only chairs we could find that went with it colour-wise were more than the matching loveseat was. So we got the loveseat.

We also figured out that we have to go unload the truck tomorrow so we can load up the TVs and the stands.

Let me put something back in your head: We're in a 104-year-old house in Aberdeen, WA. It's a town that is big enough to have cross-walks but small enough that you can actually use them and where plastic drink cup lids refuse to stop rolling down the street despite considerable odds. We walked to most of the places we went today. My legs are going to hate me tomorrow... when we're unloading the truck.

W00T for exercise, though?

So I'm thinking now (because I'm just so glad to not be walking) about my little website project. I mean, there's a lot I want to do and a lot I want to share and I think up here would be a good place to actually get writerly things done. I hope.

So... back to Script Frenzy and trying to figure out where to go with some of my other projects.

We move in on Wednesday and I want a desk by the window so I can contemplate life and then write about it.

See ya~