23.11.12

Rambly headcanon/questions post

Section One: Silent Hill 3: Vincent Smith

(My guy-mode's namesake.) But I had a thought. Silent Hill distorts images. Even though Vincent backpeddles after that famous quote of his ('Monsters? They look like monsters to you?'), there probably is a good deal of truth to that. But that got me thinking.

In the game, Vincent is always neat and nice and clean in contrast with the dark, rusty, bloody environment of Silent Hill 3. The only thing that is out of step with that image is his teeth. In-game, his teeth are decayed and discoloured. This is a complete departure from the rest of his image and makes me wonder as to symbolism.

Vincent's speech isn't affected in the least which may have been done for clarity in-game but it made me wonder a bit when I first met him.

I wonder if Vincent's teeth are seen to be rotting and discoloured because it's a projection of an internal quality, not because they actually are in the real world - the world not affected by Silent Hill.

Vincent is a manipulative, sly, self-serving man. He strikes me as the type who can lie through his teeth without feeling much. All of that may cause that illusion under the influence of Silent Hill itself. One of my conlangs has a word that uses this concept - savelton: 1: manipulative, 2: pathological liar. (lit. 'False words stain the teeth')

It was an interesting thought so I figured I'd share.

Section Two: FAKE: Randy 'Ryo' MacLane

More of a question post than headcanon this time. I've looked through what's available (translated) from FAKE: Second Season and looked back through series one, as it were, and something is bothering me.

Apartments in New York City are notoriously expensive. This is somewhat covered by Ryo's parents being art dealers in Europe (according to the translation I read). If they worked overseas they were likely good at their jobs and if they were both working at even a low-end salary (around 30,000 a year on most charts) it means Ryo himself would likely be fairly well off since the entire family strikes me as upper-class without being pretentious (even though a line in the second season seems to contradict the wealth, at least on his part).

But that's not what's bothering me.

Ryo's apartment seems over-large for one person, especially someone like him who seems to value his organisation. Why have a bigger place to maintain? (That actually feeds a headcanon of mine that says that he keeps his apartment like a showroom since he often has little to no control over a lot of his life - in particular in work. He copes by controlling every element of his life that he can.)

Moreover, his adopted son Vikky* has his own room, meaning that the place was likely two-bedroom or at least has an extra room. I doubt Ryo would put up with a kid sleeping in a storage closet or something. On top of all that, Ryo's bed is a king and I'm not sure an apartment under about 1,000 square feet would have room for something like that. And that much space seems out of step for a man who saves his money.

(I have similar issues with Dee's apartment, which is really too much space for someone on a detective's salary in the heart of the city, at least from the prices I've found.)

(*I maintain that this was probably what she was going for and that that translation is flawed.)

In other news, a lot is happening. You know, behind the scenes. Like, plans and stuff.

Yeah.

Anyway. That was about all I had. I just wanted to spew out my thoughts to the world, hence why I have a blog.

These are the kinds of things that I think about when I'm 'not doing anything'.

I also have too many tabs open currently so I'm gonna go throw this up online and then... go do something else. Maybe sleep.

Bye for now, guys. Have an awesome day and I will see you all soon, hopefully with some form of actual news!