5.7.12

This City

which is our lifeblood could be brought to its knees by a single thought - why do we dream? - Galiger Tibalt.

It doesn't quite fit as Sioux Falls is far from Tokyo in terms of cyberpunk technology but it's a cool quote. Tibalt is asking, or rather pointing out, that we do not often stop to question our own lives and their relation to the world around us. More often than not we lock ourselves into a classic model for success - work, money, family - and never stop to question our motivations or to wonder why we dream. This quote seems to say that if we did, we might lose our current society but the unspoken continuation is that we may gain something much more valuable for taking the risk.

It's kind of an amazingly simple and deep quote... considering I just made it up. I make up quotes a lot. Anyway.

I ate blueberries the other day. That's not really a big deal except it kind of is because up until then I wouldn't eat them if I were starving. They were in this salad with sweetened spinach leaves, sliced strawberries and candied walnuts. It came with this little cup of tomato basil soup and I almost made myself sick on it.

Also, you know what they have here? World Market. If you don't know what that is, look into it. It is an amazing store. It has things from everywhere - Japan, Germany, Korea, Norway - and I just love it to death.

Let me take you through what happened here, 'cause it's kind of a long story:

We got into town and had planned to stay in an extended-stay hotel for the week. That kind of fell through since the place was basically a glorified Motel 6. So we stayed at the Ramkota Hotel which has an indoor pool with a water-slide, a restaurant and a little sports bar in the hotel. Also, the rooms look like this:


So that's kind of awesome. We then spent several days looking around the place. It's nice, actually. I mean, I rather like it but then mum and I figured out a better way to handle the whole college thing which effectively made this whole trip a long vacation. Which is fine by me.

Time for obligatory pictures of Falls Park:


And this one:


And then across the park (it's a big place):


There's also this creepy-looking thing near the actual falls:


Which leads me to bite my tongue to avoid making a 'The Key and The Gate' reference. I mean, seriously, look at this thing:


It's kind of a shame they had it closed off.

So then, after talking things over quite a bit, we decided I could go to Grey's Harbor Community College (which has a study abroad program, amazingly) and then go on to Evergreen State, we went to the bookstore. Prepare for book spam:

I got The Catcher in the Rye:


Slaughterhouse Five:



A Clockwork Orange:




The Sociopath Next Door:


Batman and Psychology (my geek is showing):


This awesome Edgar Allen Poe book:


And, of course, The Art of War:


So that was about 100 dollars and an awesome trip. From there, we went out for lunch since my stomach was about to eat itself. Chili's is actually good about substitutions so I could get a veggie quesadilla. Yay~!

The next little while was spent wandering around World Market. As a result, I have even more picture spam for you:

'Kimmy' Seasoned Seaweed (Korea):



Curiosity Cola:


Ramune Drink (Japan):


'Hello Kitty' Lucky Stars Candy (China):


'Chimes' Ginger Chews (Indonesia):


Blood Orange Soda (Italy):


And Dolfin Dark Chocolate with Pink Peppercorns (Belgium):



So yeah. I have way too many pictures and are you jealous yet? You have to be jealous. I would be. *squees*

Anyway, that was my picture-heavy post for the past few days. I'll be heading back soon and getting things straightened out there. But first I'll be in Montana for about two weeks. I feel like a touring author ^^

So... sorry (or not) for the picture spam this time but I'm all happy and excited because I won't be as bored anymore. I feel like Sherlock sometimes - 'Bored.'

Bye for now guys. I'm rambling and taking up a lot of space here so I'll check in once we figure out what exactly we'll be doing next.

(Long blog post was long.)