12.9.14

Hey Look - Stuff

First off: Minecraft

I built things in it. One of these things is a 14-floor apartment building called 'Witherow Apartments'. I'm actually working on a whole city build but of course that's going to take forever so I figured I'd post a few progress pictures along the way. (I've actually got a whole tumblr blog for inspiration on this thing. Should be fun.)

It's kind of amazing that you could build the entire world in Minecraft like seven times over and still not be at the block limit. I mean, you used to run straight into the Farlands or the Corner Farlands if you went too far from the spawn but the 1.8 update removed them and extended the distance from the center of the map to something like 30 million blocks and after that, things will keep generating but the blocks become 'imaginary' - meaning that you'll clip right through them and fall into the Void if you try to walk on them - and taking more than a few steps past that limit causes the game to freeze and then crash.

Basically, it's 30 million blocks in one direction from the spawn that that starts happening so the map is actually about 60 million blocks long and 60 million blocks wide, which means you have 3.6 quadrillion square meters (blocks) to play with - just in terms of surface area.

Of course that's the PC version. I think the console version is a little smaller.

It's a huge world, is what I'm getting at.



Exterior shots because it's kind of impressive.


Front entranceway


The first floor is a lobby area. That's the elevator door to the left there. I'm kind of waiting for the Dynamic Transport mod to update to 1.8. I might put it back in since it would mean I had working elevators and that would be awesome.


Kitchen shell. Needs appliances and cabinets and whatnot.


Main floorspace from near the front door. (I want to say this is the fourth floor since there's no Ghoul or Vampire alter against the back wall. Because there's a fairly high population of Ghouls and Vampires in this city. It's a very accepting place. Bisexual, genderqueer Ghoul? Okay. Asexual, polyamorous, panromantic Vampire? That's cool, too. Just pay your 870C a month and don't destroy the place. Single resident only. Centralized location. 6-month lease. Pets allowed.)


Here's another shot of the space. You can see the front door up there. The door to the right of it actually leads to the bathroom. It's a gorgeous space with plenty of natural light and UV filtering windows meaning that blackout shades, while easily available if desired, are not required. 


Simple, staged bedroom. Small desk is built into the three-block kickout near the window to the right.

So there's that. Expect a lot of screenshots as I get things done since I finally figured out how to take clean ones without the UI in the way.

Yay, me.

Second: Scheduling and HabitRPG

I... need a better schedule. I'm actually serious about that. As much as I do not like schedules, I do better when I have them. It's very 'You will wake up when we say so / You will sleep when we shut out the lights' but it gets a lot more done which means that I don't feel so drug out and irritated all the time. Which is good for everyone else, too.

I have a list in my head but the two main things on that list are 'Work' and 'Weight', seeing as I'm not happy with either. I need to work more and weigh less, from my point of view. I get the feeling I'd be a lot happier.

Also, here is a smaller, more simple list of things I'm thinking of doing:
  • A 30 Day Little Black Dress challenge
  • Friday Flash - where you write flash fiction and post it on Friday. Exactly What it Says on The Tin.
  • And possibly reading Homestuck. I don't even really know why. It looks like a mess and that means I'm interested.
So yeah.

I have a site called HabitRPG, which I've mentioned before, and it's actually very useful for keeping track of things you're doing or not doing so I think I'll make use of that during this little restructuring phase. I strongly advise pretty much everyone, especially creative types, to give that place a shot. It's got a cool interface, there are challenges and quests and you can hatch pets from these little eggs you find through the drop system. You can hatch them with hatching potions and sometimes you wind up using a skeleton hatching potion on a dragon egg and you get something really awesome and then other days you just hang around and hatch a Cotton Candy Blue Cactus from a prickly green egg.

It's just this side of ridiculous and I love it.

Third: [LOUD STATIC DRONING]

Fourth: This video


which is very interesting for a variety of reasons.

I'm really trying to 1) figure out at least roughly where I am on all these different spectra and 2) add more legitimate diversity to my worlds when I write. Both of these things are bound to be frustrating and wonderful.

So. There's where all this is.

Life is slowly falling into place.

I'm a little sad I can't go see my girlfriend for Halloween this year but we have two conventions together next year and some awesome cosplay planned so I can't be too sad.

I'm going to go and try to plan a little before I fall asleep. Maybe work on the city a little. Either way, I will see you all soon. Have an awesome day and bye for now, everyone. Bye for now~