14.11.14

30k Celebration~ And Stuff

I hit 30k (out of 50k) for NaNoWriMo. This is a joyous occasion~ Or something.

Fact of the matter is that it's 12:34 right now (though, obviously it won't be by the time I publish this), and I... am slightly wired. No idea why, but it's there and I figure I might as well run with it.

I have a chapter to finish, a book to work on (and so many to read... like seriously I ought to post my 'to-read' list here just so you can all get a sense of scale. Might do that later. Anyway...).

The other night when I couldn't sleep I finally got around to reading 'PUSH' by Sapphire. Very good but very difficult novel. It's all told from the perspective of Precious Jones, who is about sixteen at the start and is illiterate to barely literate around that time. She already has two kids - one when she was twelve, a girl with Down Syndrome, and one at sixteen, a healthy boy. Her father is also their father, and her mother outright blames her for 'stealing her husband/stealing her man', usually driving the point home with a beating before telling to her get up and fix her something to eat.

Obviously, not meant as a light-hearted read. I read it straight through. It's rough. It's deeply uncomfortable. It's not pretty in the slightest. But it's honest.

And honest is always beautiful.

If absolutely nothing else, I need to learn to take that to heart.

Things are changing. Things have been changing for a while now but every now and then, I'm very aware of them. But I think it's a good change, at least.

And now, a small fact about your humble blogger:

Whenever anyone says 'Writer's block is just laziness/just an excuse', I tune out.

Honestly, I'm fairly distrustful of people who say that they never get writer's block (or anything similar depending on the type of artist they are). I probably shouldn't be but my initial response is distrust for the quality of and care put into their work.

Uppity? Probably. Like, 97% sure on that one.

But right now, that's kinda just how it is.

I think it's because I can never work like that. I need days spent letting my subconscious work on problems that I can't see a solution to at the moment. I need days to unwind and unplug and think and refocus. It's odd to me to think that some people just don't. Of course, to the average person, I'm very odd for a multitude of reasons, so I don't really have a decent platform here, now do I?

That's all kind of beside the point. Although in a way it isn't seeing as there was no point to begin with, which would theoretically make everything in this post both the point and not the point.

Or something.

I don't know.

It's late and I have stuff to do, that's about all I'm really clear on at the moment.

But hey, at least I can see the road to the end of my headlights.