5.3.13

WriYe Part Three: Getting Things Done

Pre-Editing (aka Finishing)
We all know that March is NaNoEdMo, but there's an important step that must be done before reaching for your editing goals: finishing that novel. How hard is it for you to finish a novel? Does it leave you with a sense of closure or a yearning for more? Do you finish as many novels as you start?

This has been a thorn in my side for quite a while, to be fair. Ideas are not the issue, finishing the ideas is.

In fact, I'm not sure there's a single thing on my list that is truly, completely done.

And in a way, that's depressing.

I think it's so difficult for me to get a novel done because I have this fear of... well, everything, to some degree. On top of all that, I'm never sure if I've told it well enough. I suppose you never really will be, though. There's also the fact that I, for one, cannot stand sleep.

That might seem like a pointless little thing to know about me but it all ties in quite nicely. I don't like the idea of settling in and saying 'I'm done for the day'. It bothers me. And, much like sleeping myself, I can't seem to put a story to bed either.

Did I beat you over the head enough with that metaphor?

What it all boils down to is that it's neigh unto impossible for me to get things done. It always has been. My consistency is awful in terms of how often I really sit down and work and generally when I have the time, I don't have the energy.

That really leads into the second question, though. Having anything done will give me one of two thoughts: 1) I'm sorry it's over but that was perfect. Or 2) That was all? But there's so much more you could have done with this - so many unexplored avenues and themes. Why?

That might be a part of it too. I always feel like I'm thinking too linearly and missing too much.

Do I finish as many novels as I start?

No, obviously. Although, I'm not sure anyone has ever really finished all of the books they've started, at least not as the original idea. Thoughts change, loyalties shift, and books inevitably change as we do. That's a large part of the charm.

I'd say the takeaway from this would be that the end should not be the point of the journey. Obviously do try to get your work done and out there if that's what you aim for - but don't base so much of your success on how many titles you have under your belt.

Rather, how many lessons have you learned?