11.6.14

So I'm working on a Website


[You should be able to click that and make it bigger.]

So yeah. Lately I've been getting a little tired of all the deliberate queerbaiting in most mainstream media and the fact that (almost) every protagonist is a straight white male and that even horror/gore shows aren't immune to completely unnecessary sex scenes and romantic subplots.

I'm just gettin' a little huffy in general, to be fair. So, I figured 'Hey, Rabbit... you can write. And there are some free or super cheap but still really good publishing channels out there (like CreateSpace and Smashwords, etc.) where you wouldn't be fighting a bunch of industry bullshit about GSM* themes. Plus nowadays you can make a pretty quality website for nothin' or next-to-nothin', so why not use what you've got?'

And then I said, 'You know what, Rabbit? That's a pretty good idea. We should hang out more.'

And then I said, 'I know, right? Next week though - I'm under the gun on some ghost-writing.'

And I said, 'Yeah, no, I totally understand.'

. . .

*looks around* Where am I?

So that was basically how that happened. I'm still messing with the groundwork obviously, trying to decide what I feel I can write well enough to include, but the idea is there and that's a start.

I got to thinking that if we ever want to see this shift in the entertainment industry, it's going to have to come from the fans first. Big companies won't risk alienating that much of their market by taking any kind of political stand - which, in a way, I can understand. I mean, I might not like it but business is business. And that's really why it's got to come from outside the industry first.

But I'm not going to ramble about this right now. (First because it's way too warm in this room, and second because I don't really have myself together enough to write things out properly and I'd rather not make my point but make it poorly.) Right now, I'm going to take a break, maybe get something to eat, then come back and get at least a few more pages done on a (now overdue) project. Thankfully, the client is very understanding.

Oh, and school. School is in there too somewhere. And DashCon.

A lot is going on right now.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Gender and Sexual Minorities